Saigon, Phnom Penh and Angkor Wat
14 nights from £2,799 per person
Departing from April to November 2014
FULLY ESCORTEDThe mighty Mekong River flows through the heart of South East Asia, rising in the Tibetan Plateau and passing through China, Burma, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam to make the world's tenth longest river system. Flowing through gorges, swift rapids, mirror-like lakes and vast, fertile floopplains, over 600 million people depend on it for food, water and transport. Only the Amazon basin boasts a higher biodiversity than the Mekong; it's particularly known for its giant catfish and carp up to 9 feet in length.
Our journey along this amazing natural marvel explores the fascinating waterborne worlds along its banks, from floating villages, stilt houses, colourful floating markets and the thousands of local boats of all shapes and sizes plying its mud-coloured waters.
'Stepping back in time' is a much-used cliché, but as our Mekong journey unfolds through some stunning countryside, it is absolutely suitable: farmers bent almost double beneath their traditional conical hats in fields which disappear into the distance, whilst docile water buffalo methodically plough through rice caddies until the sun sets in a blood-red explosion of tropical colour.
Vietnam and Cambodia are countries experiencing a colossal change. Although modern in outlook, they still retain a unique traditional Far Eastern character. Bicycles and mopeds outnumber cars by 100 to 1, so now is the time to visit these most captivating and colourful destinations whilst so much of this uniqueness and tradition remain in evidence! And the best way to discover these two fascinating countries is just as it always has been- from their beautiful arterial waterway, the stunning Mekong River.
Fully escorted price includes:
- Return scheduled flights from London Gatwick
- Experience a seven night river cruise on board the 5-star RV Jayavarman or 4-star superior RV Mekong Prestige II
- All staterooms are outside cabins with balconies and river views
- Stay in 4-star and 5-star hotels with breakfast
- Gaze in awe at the magnificent temples of Angkor, one of Asia’s greatest ancient sights
- Stay in the heart of Saigon with its bustling waterfront and French colonial architecture. Tour of Phnom Penh, the ‘Paris of the East’, with its golden temples and palaces
- See the fascinating Cu-Chi tunnels, a poignant reminder of the US-Vietnam conflict
- Visit the teeming floating markets of Kampong Chhnang and Cai Be
- Visit local communities to discover their unique way of life, unchanged in centuries
- Experience the delights of exquisitely presented Vietnamese and Cambodian cuisine
- All shore excursions and meals whilst on the Mekong Cruise