Seven nights half-board from only £879 per person
Selected departures up to October 2014
Apulia, one of the most fertile regions of Italy produces more olive oil than the rest of Italy combined, most of its fish, 80% of Europe's pasta, and more wine than the whole of Germany. We mention this because this very fertility and resultant wealth has attracted attention from a host of envious invaders throughout history, with all leaving remarkably evident footprints. It is this which makes Apulia delightfully different. Colonised by the ancient Greeks in the 8th century BC; then came the Romans, Byzantines followed by the Saracens, Normans, Spanish and Bourbons before finally becoming Italian in 1861. You will see some of the most fascinating cities, villages, unusual sights and stunning scenery that you will find anywhere and most importantly it remains genuinely unspoilt.
Fully escorted price includes:
- Return flights from London Gatwick
- Seven nights four-star accommodation with breakfast and dinner
- A journey discovering a fascinating and unspoilt collection of cultural and scenic gems
- Guided tour of Lecce, one of Italy’s finest baroque towns – often compared to Florence
- Visit to Alberobello, home to the unique ‘trulli’ houses, set amid stunning countryside
- Guided tour of Matera, the amazing cave village and UNESCO world heritage site
- Visit to Bari’s old town, once home to ancient Greeks, Saracens and Normans, with an amazing Romanesque cathedral, final resting place of St Nicholas – Father Christmas!
- Visit to Castel del Monte, one of Italy’s finest medieval castles
- Stay in ancient Vieste’s delightful old town, beautifully situated on one of Italy’s most inspiring coastlines
- Drive along the Gargano coast, one of Europe’s most stunning seascapes
- Tour the beautiful national park and Crusader church of Monte St Angelo, where the Archangel St Michael appeared and one of Europe’s most important medieval pilgrimages
- Escorted by an experienced tour manager