Six nights from only £679 per person
Selected departures April to October 2014.
Although Spain is one of the most visited countries in the world, it seems incredible that swathes of it are hardly known at all. But during the last few years, its more historic, cultural and scenic aspects have been brought to the attention of the discerning traveller.
For many centuries Spain did not really exist as a nation state, being more a collection of countries such as Aragon, Castille, Cantabria and of course, Catalonia. Often separated by high mountain ranges, they evolved separately becoming strikingly different with even their own languages. In Roman times Tarragona was one of the largest cities in the Empire, and had a population of 250,000 with a wealth of buildings to match, many of which are still in evidence today. Ancient monasteries abound and include some of the most sophisticated ever constructed with many still in use. Lush vineyards sweep off to the horizon and produce that most superb of drinks, the sparkling wine - Cava. Barcelona, the most self-confident and progressive capital is a tremendous place to visit. Probably the most prosperous city in the country, it has a sophistication and cultural dynamism way ahead of the rest of Spain which is so strong you can just feel it walking around. Catalonia also boast the best food in Spain, but that is what the Catalans themselves tell you and to be fair they perhaps have a point, but the only real test is to come with us and see for yourself.
Fully escorted price includes:
- Return flights from London Gatwick, London Heathrow, Bristol, Belfast International, Leeds/Bradford, London Stansted, Luton, Manchester, East Midlands, Newcastle, Liverpool, Southend or Edinburgh
- Six nights bed and breakfast in excellent quality four-star hotels
- Guided tour of Barcelona – Spain’s most happening city!
- Visit to the beautiful medieval city of Girona
- Walking tour of Tarragona, the ancient Roman capital of Iberia
- Visit to the world famous monastery at Montserrat
- Visit to Cava vineyard and discover the ancient art of wine making
- Escorted by an experienced tour manager