Five nights from £599 per person
You'll love this tour if you like:
- Fine wine and cognac
- Elegant, historic cities - Bordeaux boasts a wealth of sights
- Ancient harbours - La Rochelle and Rochefort
- Quirky museums - with themes such as cognac, the slave trade shipbuilding & ropemaking, perfume and natural history
- Eating out at local restaurants - Cognac has a wealth to choose from
This wonderful new tour, based in the west of France, visits some of the wonderful towns of this beautiful region made famous but its two principle exports: wine and brandy.
There is also a rich legacy to discover with each of the towns offering up its own delights to explore - Cognac (our base), with its old cobbled streets and brandy warehouses; elegant 18th century Bordeaux with its World Heritage historic quarter; maritime history old and new in La Rochelle and Rochefort; and the Roman, medieval and classical heritage of Saintes.
You will stay in the heart of Cognac, close to all the restaurants and the medieval quarter, which is perfect for an evening stroll. You will of course also be close to the world famous brandy houses, where you will be able to enjoy a tasting!
DAY TO DAY ITINERARY
Day 1: Travel by Eurostar and TGV from St Pancras or Ebbsfleet to Lille and onwards by TGV to Angouleme. On arrival transfer to Cognac for check into hotel for 5 night stay on bed and breakfast basis
Day 2: Morning tour of Cognac with afternoon visit to nearby Angouleme
Day 3: Full day tour to La Rochelle
Day 4: Full day tour to Bordeaux
Day 5: Full day tour to Rochefort and Saintes
Day 6: Transfer to station in Angouleme for return TGV and Eurostar to Ebbsfleet or St Pancras via Lille
NB: Exact order of itinerary may vary according to local conditions and tour manager's discretion
- Return Eurostar and TGV from London St Pancras or Ebbsfleet to Angouleme via Lille
- 5 nights' accommodation on bed and breakfast basis at Le Valious Hotel, based on shared occupancy of twin room
- Transfers and full touring itinerary conducted by tour manager
- Tour manager throughout
- Holiday insurance
- Single room supplement
- Standard Premier/1st Class upgrade on Eurostar/TGV. On the Eurostar this constitutes upgraded seating and light meal with complimentary drink with upgraded seating only on the French railway leg
- Meals other than those stated
- Items of a personal nature such as drinks,laundry, telephone calls etc
- Porterage and gratuities
PLEASE NOTE: As with most trains, passengers are responsible for carrying baggage onto and off the train. Baggage can be stored on overhead shelves or at the entrance to the carriages.Trollies are available at St Pancras and Lille, but bags do need to be carried on to the platform.
Travel Editions recommends a luggage delivery service called Carry My Luggage, where your suitcase can be picked up from your home before departure and delivered straight to your hotel; therefore removing the worry about carrying your cases onto and off the trains.
PLEASE NOTE 2: Eurostar have changed their upgraded service from September 2010 from "Leisure Select" to a new service that they are branding as "Standard Premier." This service includes the upgraded seating on the train but now includes only a cold, light meal and a drink.
Prices & Availability
|Departure Date||Duration||Status||Per Person||Single Supplement||Board Basis|
|14-Jun-2012||5||Available||£599||£160||Bed and Breakfast|
|23-Aug-2012||5||Available||£599||£160||Bed and Breakfast|
|27-Sep-2012||5||Available||£599||£160||Bed and Breakfast|